The best WordPress SSL plugins reviewed and compared to help secure your website.
SSL or Secure Sockets Layer is essential to secure servers in any online transaction between a user and web servers, such as an online banking application or online store. Before you find the best SSL plugin, you must ensure that it has the full features and functionalities to maintain the data security on your website. Below are some top-of-the-line WordPress SSL plugins that you can use to secure your website.
Table of contents
You’ll find hundreds of options in the market, but it’s hard to choose the one that suits best on your site. You can find WordPress SSL plugins in this article if that’s the case. Each has unique features to help with your purpose – to assure users of their information security.
An SSL plugin is one of the most crucial factors to your website’s success, especially if you run an online business. Without it, visitors can’t trust your page. Thankfully, you can have some of the WordPress SSL plugins for free.
Best WordPress SSL/HTTPS Plugins
1. Really Simple SSL (Most Popular)
The critical requirement before setting up this Really Simple SSL is the SSL Certificate. You can get them from SSL certificate providers. Other than that, you can activate it with a single click. Make sure to backup files before you go. It is lightweight and easy to use, coming from the title itself. So you’ll have more time for other things to edit your website.
The free version can give the things that you need to secure your website. However, you can support the developers by buying Premium. Of course, it has additional features and functionalities that would be useful for you. For example, it enables you to put the HTTP Strict Transport Security. It also allows you to configure your site for the HSTS preload list.
Moreover, the Premium Version will notify your email when your SSL certificate is near to expire. It comes with additional security with its advanced security header and more features.
Key Really Simple SSL Features
- Automatic SSL detection: The plugin automatically detects your SSL certificate and configures your website to use HTTPS.
- HTTP to HTTPS redirection: Really Simple SSL redirects all HTTP requests to HTTPS, ensuring that your website is always accessed over a secure connection.
- Mixed content fixer: The plugin fixes any mixed content issues that may arise when moving from HTTP to HTTPS. It automatically updates the URLs of all resources (images, scripts, stylesheets, etc.) to use HTTPS.
- Easy setup: Really Simple SSL is designed to be easy to set up and use. Once activated, it handles most of the configuration automatically, requiring minimal manual intervention.
- Compatibility: The plugin is compatible with most hosting providers and SSL certificates. It works with both single-site and multisite WordPress installations.
- Security headers: Really Simple SSL adds security headers to your website’s response headers, enhancing the security of your website.
- Support for multiple languages: The plugin is available in multiple languages, making it accessible to users from different regions.
Really Simple SSL is a useful plugin for WordPress users who want to secure their websites with SSL. It simplifies the process of setting up SSL and ensures that all resources are loaded securely over HTTPS.
Active installations: 5+ millionMore info / Download
The great thing about this plugin is that it generates an SSL certificate. It instantly verifies your HTTP domain, and the installation and setup are hassle-free. Another thing, you can create certificate files and install them on your server to your apache or Nginx if you run WordPress on a specialized VPS/Dedicated Server without cPanel. If this sounds too technical, the developer’s team can help you if you opt for the Premium version.
The free version has perks. However, the Pro version has more advanced features. Once your SSL certificate is about to expire, this WordPress SSL Plugin renews it automatically every 90 days. It also has automated DNS verification and wildcard SSL support. Finally, securing your website increases its Google ranking and makes it more visible to potential leads.
Key WP LetsEncrypt Features
- Easy installation: The plugin can be installed directly from the WordPress plugin repository, making it simple to add SSL/TLS to your website.
- Automatic certificate renewal: WP LetsEncrypt handles the renewal process automatically, ensuring that your website remains secure without any manual intervention.
- One-click certificate installation: Once the certificate is obtained, you can easily install it on your website with just a single click.
- Support for multiple domains: WP LetsEncrypt allows you to secure multiple domains or subdomains with a single certificate, making it ideal for websites with multiple sections or language variations.
- HTTPS redirection: The plugin can also automatically redirect HTTP requests to HTTPS, ensuring that all traffic to your website is encrypted.
- Detailed logs and notifications: WP LetsEncrypt provides detailed logs of the certificate issuance and renewal process and notifications to keep you informed about the status of your certificates.
WP LetsEncrypt is a user-friendly and convenient solution for securing your WordPress website with SSL/TLS certificates from Let’s Encrypt. Encrypting your website’s traffic can enhance security and build trust with your visitors.
Active installations: 60,000+More info / Download
3. WP Force SSL
SSL is a crucial factor in your website’s success. It does many things to avoid intruders and hackers. Aside from that, it prevents viruses and other harmful data. Having this SSL protects your site from cookie hijacking and downgrade attacks. Thankfully, you can have more site security with this WP Force plugin to give your visitors more peace of mind.
All you have to do is to install and activate this plugin. It redirects the HTTP traffic into HTTPS for more security. After activation, you can test the certificate and are ready to go. Of course, you need to get an SSL certificate before anything else.
Enabling SSL adds to the website’s credibility. This plugin comes with an SSL certificate testing tool to see if it is up-to-date or valid. Just click the “Test SSL Certificate” button for its current status.
Main WP Force SSL Features
- Enforces SSL on your WordPress website
- Redirects all non-SSL traffic to the SSL version of your website
- Provides options to exclude certain pages or URLs from being forced to SSL
- Automatically detects SSL certificate availability
- Supports both permanent (301) and temporary (302) redirects
- Works with both single-site and multi-site WordPress installations
- Easy to install and configure
- Regularly updated and maintained
WP Force SSL is a WordPress plugin that enforces SSL on your website, ensuring a secure connection. It redirects non-SSL traffic to the SSL version, protects sensitive information, and offers options to exclude specific pages. It’s easy to install, works with single-site and multi-site installations, and regularly updated.
Active installations: 100,000+More info / Download
4. SSL Zen
You can generate your SSL certificate to secure your website using this plugin. After installation, you can set this SSL Zen to redirect HTTP into HTTPS web traffic. That’s when you can get the HTTPS or padlock at the top of the URL bar.
You can get the free SSL certificate at Let’s Encrypt, a non-profit Global Certificate Authority. Setting up the SSL certificate on your website is not as easy as it seems. It would help if you did some configuration and other activities to enable the HTTPS. This plugin helps you to do it in simple steps. It will do the work for you.
With its Premium version, it renews free SSL when it expires. It also generates the SSL certificate automatically and proves the domain ownership.
Key features of the SSL Zen plugin
- Simplified SSL certificate management
- Automated certificate renewal
- Domain ownership verification
- Organization validation
- HTTPS encryption for secure communication
- Certificate revocation management
- Centralized certificate tracking
Active installations: 20,000+More info / Download
Make your website SEO-friendly by installing this plugin. However, make sure to install the SSL certificate first before activation. After installation, it is possible to turn your website into HTTPS for better security.
This plugin redirects the website to your page’s HTTPS URL instead of HTTP. For example, if your website’s URL is www.colorlib.com, it will appear as https://colorlib.com. On the other hand, if you have Easy HTTPS Redirection (SSL), it automatically redirects to https://colorlib.com.
You are forcing the visitors to go to the secured version of your website rather than the original one. It will give a better impression and give a better SEO ranking. Another one is that it forces you to load static files with the HTTPS URL.
Active installations: 100,000+More info / Download
Are you looking for a free SSL certificate on your WordPress website? If so, you can use this plugin to do the work for you. It gives a 30-day interval to renew your SSL certificate to avoid reaching the expiration date before renewal. It automatically sets up the SSL certificate if you have cPanel shared hosting. Rest assured, your sensitive information – such as the password and API secret – is safe at your WordPress database.
After configuring this plugin, you can have a secured website leading your visitors into HTTPS web traffic instead of HTTP. You will then see the padlock image in the URL bar. Lastly, you can nullify your SSL certificate and reverse your Let’s Encrypt account anytime. The required SSL installation feature enabled, curl extension, OpenSSL extension, and Linux hosting.
Active installations: 10,000+More info / Download
7. WC SSL Seal
Regarding the WooCommerce website, you must assure your customers that your page has security, especially when they present their bank accounts, credit cards, and confidential data. Showing an SSL allows them to buy from your site easily. You can present the seal while they are checking out.
This plugin allows you to embed a Secure Seal SSL Provider and display custom and default images. It will appear on the WooCommerce checkout page. Of course, you need to have an SSL certificate before you can set this up. You can find them at some SSL certificate website providers. Once you get your certificate, you can install and activate this WC SSL Seal.
The good thing about this plugin is that you don’t need to do anything after activation. You can find the Settings Screen in the WooCommerce section, hover over the Settings menu, and click the SSL Seal Tab. You will see the site’s speed performance instantly.
Active installations: 600+More info / Download
Why Should You Use SSL Plugin On Your Website?
Here are eight main reasons why you should use an SSL WordPress plugin for your website, bolstered by relevant hacking statistics:
- Data Encryption: SSL encrypts data transmitted between the user’s browser and the web server. This ensures that any sensitive information, like credit card details or passwords, is protected from eavesdroppers.
- Authentication: SSL certificates verify the authenticity of a website. This ensures users interact with a genuine website and not a malicious duplicate.
- Boosts SEO Ranking: Google and other search engines prioritize SSL-enabled websites in their search rankings, making it a crucial factor for SEO.
- Trustworthiness: Websites with SSL display a padlock icon in the browser’s address bar. This symbol indicates to users that the site is secure, fostering trust.
- Prevents Data Tampering: SSL ensures that data is not altered during transmission. This prevents malicious actors from tampering with data to serve their purposes.
- Regulatory Compliance: Many industries and regions have regulations requiring websites to protect user data. SSL is often a key component of meeting these requirements.
- Protection Against Cyberattacks: SSL provides an added layer of defense against various cyberattacks, including man-in-the-middle and session hijacking.
- Affordable and Easy Implementation: With initiatives like Let’s Encrypt and various WordPress SSL plugins, implementing SSL has become more accessible and affordable for website owners.
Incorporating SSL into your WordPress website ensures security and establishes credibility with users. Given the rise in cyber threats, taking proactive measures to safeguard your site and its visitors is more important than ever.
Comparing SSL/HTTPS WordPress Plugins
|Feature/Plugin||Really Simple SSL (Most Popular)||WP LetsEncrypt||WP Force SSL||SSL Zen||Easy HTTPS Redirection (SSL)||Auto-Install Free SSL|
|Price||Free (Pro version available)||Free||Free||Free (Premium version available)||Free||Free|
|Certificate Issuance||No (Uses existing certificate)||Yes (Via Let’s Encrypt)||No||Yes (Via Let’s Encrypt)||No||Yes (Via cPanel)|
|Automatic Renewal||No||Yes||No||Yes (For Let’s Encrypt)||No||Yes|
|Mixed Content Fixer||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|HTTP to HTTPS Redirection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Backend & Frontend Force SSL||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Multisite Support||Yes (With Pro version)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Support & Documentation||Extensive||Moderate||Moderate||Extensive||Moderate||Moderate|
Which SSL Plugin to Choose?
Looking for the right might be challenging with the multiple WordPress SSL plugins online. Thankfully, the items we’ve found are fast and reliable. Moreover, most of them are easy to set up. You need to install and activate them. After that, it will bring more security to your website.
Our top choice is Really Simple SSL WordPress plugin, which is the most popular and offers the widest selection of features available via a simple user interface.
Some of the items above offer a free SSL certificate. At the same time, others allow you to generate HTTPS web traffic in an instant. It will surely give your visitors more peace of mind, especially when your website requires data and essential information.
Another importance of SSL is that it improves the SEO of your website. Once you secure your web page, Google and other search engines can see through it. That’s why you have to choose from one of these SSL items. But the final choice is up to you.