Whitelabeling a your WordPress site gives your brand a significant uplift when it comes to your online marketing efforts. A custom registration form is one of the easiest ways to whitelabel your WordPress powered website.
Using a custom registration form, you can to streamline the new user’s registration process, making it much more intuitive in nature, while simultaneously fine-tuning it to your business’ requirements.
You can add custom fields like contact number, timezone, etc., to your registration form and display it anywhere in your WordPress site. For example, if you’re running an ecommerce shop, additional information such as country of residence can be useful. You can also enforce a minimum password length for new users, request their consent on your Terms and Conditions, add captcha verification to block spam bots and a host of other useful features.
The default WordPress registration form contains just enough fields to gather the basic information required to setup the user account. You can add custom fields to this registration form either by (a) incorporating custom code, or (b) by using some fantastic free WordPress plugins.
In this article we’ve listed some of the best WordPress plugins for customizing your registration form. Once you’ve gone through the list, you can select that one plugin which will help you build that perfect registration form you’ve always wanted for your website.
Ultimate Member is simply the best all-rounder freemium member management plugin available in the WordPress repository. Here are the list of features:
- Front-end user registration, login and edit profile option using shortcodes.
- Ability to add custom fields in the registration form.
- The conditional logic feature for form fields lets you customize dynamic registration forms which display input fields based on user’s previous input.
- A drag and drop form builder lets you design forms with ease.
- Google reCAPTCHA is available as a free extension. (Bye-bye spammers!)
Registration page generated by the plugin
On the compatibility side of things, the plugin works with WordPress Multisite and supports the WPML multilingual plugin.
Since this a full blown membership plugin, it has a ton of other features which we haven’t covered. (We’ve discussed the ones that are relevant to customizing your registration form).
If you’d like to learn more about the plugin’s capabilities, head over to the plugin’s homepage.
User Meta is a freemium plugin which supports a robust set of features. The free version of the plugin lets you add custom fields to both the user’s registration form and the user’s profile page. You can use shortcodes to display the registration form or Edit Profile options on the front-end, i.e any post or page.
This plugin comes heavy on custom field components similar to the Cimy User Extra Fields plugin. Apart from the ones mentioned earlier, User Meta as file upload, hidden fields, avatar support and others.
The premium version of the plugin includes features such as front-end user login, password reset, custom widgets for profile/login forms, bulk import/export of the user base, etc. These features aren’t strictly necessary for a free version.
User Registration (UR) is a WordPress plugin, very helpful in any website you want to launch. It’s a beautiful form, but clean and simple at the same time. You can count on unlimited registration forms for your users. Don’t worry about your form builder features either. User Registration has its own drag and drop form builder to make it easy. It supports Multiple Column, so, you decide how you wish your forms fields.
UR offers you plenty of shortcodes, enabling you to showcase your forms in pages, posts, sidebars and more. It also includes ReCaptcha to avoid unpleasant spammers. Get advantage to Social connect and login to your site with the most common social platforms. With File uploads, UR allows creating upload field in your registration form. And WooCommerce integration makes for easier relations between site owner and customers. It’s handy and thorough, get User Registration today!
RegistrationMagic is an advanced plugin that acts both as a registration form builder as well as a contact form builder.
Apart from having all the basic features such as custom fields (with multiple components), reCAPTCHA support, this plugin features the following:
- The unique name and form description feature enables you to name and describe the forms you create. This is strictly meant for the administrator (you) and won’t appear in the front-end of the form.
- The redirection feature enables you to guide your newly registered user to the next page. This is very useful for sales funnels.
- The auto-responder component (currently MailChimp is supported) allows you to customize welcome messages and toggle the activity (whether or not to send an email upon successful registration).
RegistrationMagic form customization options
- The plugin also integrates with Facebook
- The Forms Manager page displays a “submission counter” on each form card, which holds submission entries for that particular form.
- The Analytics section of the plugin is truly a blessing. It records all registrations’ IP address, time and date and displays them in a tabular format.
- The plugin also visualizes multiple components of your user’s interaction with the form, such as average form filling time and success rate. This data is a valuable source of information which can be used to better understand your users, and design a more streamlined and intuitive form.
The Profile Builder plugin, jointly developed by 5 teams is one of the most popular plugins in its category with over 40,000 downloads featuring full compatibility with the latest version of WordPress (which is 4.3.1 at the time of writing this article).
Demo registration page generated by the shortcode
The thing I liked most about this plugin is that it gives you a 5 awesome shortcodes using which you can add the user-registration form in the front-end, i.e. in any post, page, or widget. Here are the list of shortcodes, all of which are pretty self-explanatory:
- [wppb-edit-profile] – Lets logged-in users to edit their profile from any post or page where you place the shortcode. They don’t have to visit the WordPress dashboard anymore.
- [wppb-login] – The login shortcode. You can also use a variation such as [wppb-login redirect_url=”www.example.com”] and replace example.com with your desired URL.
- [wppb-logout] – The shortcode for logging out.
- [wppb-register] – This shortcode dynamically generates the entire user registration form in any post/page.
- [wppb-recover-password] – This shortcode will generate the password recovery box.
And that’s about it. The rest of the features are all paid addons which makes this plugin a freemium product.
Some important features of the pro version of the plugin includes creating extra user fields, hidden input fields, reCAPTCHA forms, adding avatar upload feature for new users, etc.
Personally, I think the fact that features such as extra user fields and reCAPTCHA are offered as premium ones is a bit off putting, since it’s one of the core components of plugin that’s supposed to customize your registration form. However, this plugin is still a great choice for people looking to place their registration form anywhere in their website.
This nifty plugin is solely developed to enhance the user registration process. It has a robust set of user input field components such as drop-down menus, radio buttons, rich/plain text boxes and checkboxes.
Demo registration page developed using the plugin
It also features avatar upload with crop and resize functionality, reCAPTCHA module to block spammers, custom logo in the registration page, and custom welcome email confirmation messages.
Pie-Register is an excellent free WordPress custom registration form plugin with the following features:
- Full-fledged registration form builder with multiple custom field components.
- Ability to verify and moderate user registrations.
- Invitation only registrations – this is a brilliant marketing feature for those who want to build a curious audience
- Custom email templates for registration completion, etc.
- reCAPTCHA and shortcode support (similar to Profile Builder, but all for free).
- User database import and export feature.
- Payment gateway integration using PayPal – This is certainly an interesting feature, not seen in any of the previous plugins.
- Custom logo and custom fields in the user’s profile page.
- Ability to hide the default login and registration pages.
Pie-Register registration form
All these plugins do an excellent job when it comes to customizing your registration form. If I were to choose, I’d probably choose Pie-Register since it offers the best of all the plugins and it’s completely free. Ultimate Member and RegistrationMagic are the joint runners-up, since both of them are equally good and choosing one is based on your requirement. If you’re aiming for a membership site, go for Ultimate Member, else RegistrationMagic is your winner.
Have I missed your preferred plugin? Do let us know, and I’ll add it to the list!