Tagged: version update
- December 16, 2016 at 8:16 pm #81453
I have been terrible afraid of updating my Unite Theme as I do not know if I will lose all my customization that we have added. I currently have version 1.6.1 installed and I know the most current version is 2.0.2. How do I know if I choose to update the most current version, I will NOT lose any of the customization we have added?
CandiceDecember 18, 2016 at 11:38 am #81561
I think that in order to save all your customization and not to worry when your are updating your theme you have to create and activate a child theme on your wordpress installationDecember 19, 2016 at 10:47 am #81618December 19, 2016 at 5:01 pm #81673
Hi thanks for the response guys. I am not familiar with child themes. So can you explain the following:
1. What exactly is a child theme, where do I get it? ex. is it a plugin?
2. Once I have the child theme installed, how do I transfer over all the custom elements that are currently apart of my theme?
3. What else do I need to do?
CandiceDecember 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm #81788
1) What is a Child theme?
A WordPress child theme is a WordPress theme that inherits its functionality from another WordPress theme, the parent theme. Child themes are often used when you want to customize or tweak an existing WordPress theme without losing the ability to upgrade that theme
2) See in attach a doc that explains you how to make a child theme.
3) All the css custom you could copy in the style css of the child theme.
The topic ‘Update Theme’ is closed to new replies.